Hesitation on the move

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hesitation on the move
From: "James Carpenter" <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 21:24:48 -0000
Hi there,

I have now got 800 miles under my belt since the engine bottom end overhaul
and 1300 miles since I got it back on the road after a 8 month spree of
work.  It has reached the stage that I am not  busy fixing everything
although there are still things that occasionally fall off.  Anyway so I am
now starting to use the revs a bit more, but I can't the car will not rev.

These are the symptoms, if I accelerate full throttle away in third from1300
RPM the car tanks along passes all the euroboxes until it get's to about
4200RPM when all acceleration goes.  I thin change up to fourth and the
acceleration is back.  There is loads of power right down low in the rev
range, but it just hit's a wall at 4200RPM and will not go above it.   The
only gear it is possible to get over this in is first of revving the engine
by hand, first is not nice.

This was accompanied by a smell of petrol after changing up, but I swapped a
needle valve in the carbs and put some better hose clips on today.  I think
the petrol smell is better, but I still think it could be hesitating
(traffic was so bad to day I did not manage to get onto the duel carriageway
to test).

My initial idea was a float chamber was flooding making the mixture over
rich, but I am not so convinced.

Any Ideas...

Very cheap fixes would be warmly received.