J Type Spitfire OD wiring

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: J Type Spitfire OD wiring
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 09:23:49 -0800
Hey Lucas Fans!

I bought a single rail OD tranny from a very late model
Spit and it came with a wiring harness.  I have looked
in the Haynes manual and understand the theory of
operation and can wire the thing according to the
schematic.  However, the wiring harness doesn't agree
with the wiring provided in the schematic.

My question is, "Has anybody ever drawn up their own
schematic of that circuit which has the real color
codes according to the actual wiring harness instead of
what is shown in the Haynes manual"?

The issues in question are.

1. There is a Yellow/Green wire that is not indicated
in the Haynes schematic.
2. THe Green/Brown wire for the backup light circuit is
routed back to the rear of the transmission along with
the wires for the OD and Gearbox switches.

In order to wire the harness so that the schematic is
correct, I must connect the above two wires together in
order to route the Green/Brown wire to the front of the
Transmission so it can be connected to the backup light
circuit.  The rest is pretty obvious, but I wonder why
the circuitous routing of those two wires.  If it is
correct, why did they not just route the green brown
wire to the connection for the backup light switch and
eliminate the yellow/green wire entirely?

Or am I just entirely missing something?

Regards,
Joe Curry
 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer