RE: I am really starting to hate this timing thing

To: "'cecil wise'" <cwise@southwind.net>
Subject: RE: I am really starting to hate this timing thing
From: Craig Smith <CraigS@iewc.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 06:30:47 -0600
I had a revelation Sunday, I haven't had my rebuilt engine running very
long and got to thinking .
I had the head shaved .020 and reinstalled it but didn't think about the
valve rocker gap settings.  I was trying to time it and couldn't get it
to run anywhere close to 10 degrees.  I was resolved that it would be 25
to 30 forever. I set the valve gaps and behold !!! 10, 8, and even six
was possible. The reason it wouldn't time even close to 10 was the
valves weren't closing and it was backfiring through the carb. Once I
got the valves set everything was fine.
Try that, you never know.

-