Re: Electrical Extravaganza

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electrical Extravaganza
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 21:40:49 -0500
At 08:13 PM 1/30/99 EST, Kris Powell wrote:

>I had a crazy electrical adventure this week.....

>I realized later that I am incredibly fortunate to have a battery cutoff
>not only because it saved my car from catching on fire, but also, I am
>sure I would have grabbed the now live cable to move it and electrocuted
>myself pretty damn well.....

Kris et al.

  I don't know if Kris was talking figuratively or not.  But just for the
record the nice part about working on a cars electrical system is that
you can NOT get electrocuted from a cars electrical system.  The
only place that can really bother you is getting hold of a spark plug
wire.  While this will definately let you know if you have hi voltage
to a spark plug, it won't really hurt you.  I don't advise anyone with
a pacemaker getting across a spark plug wire though.

That said, if you have a wire burning, you can get a VERY bad burn if
you try to pull on a wire that IS burning.  (I speak from experience here.)

Kris did the right thing by turning off the battery switch.  And in the
case of an electrical short, these switches are the best thing you can
have besides a good insurance policy.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V

www.team.net/www/morgan        bricklin.shel.olsy-na.com/bi