SU Blues

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: SU Blues
From: Kris & Randy Croft <rkcroft@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 16:55:49 -0600
--------------7C9408290BD338290CE67F49

Listers

I've got a 69 spit with the twin su 1296 engine. After using
my new
colortune I received from my wife for christmas I found out
both
carbs are running a rich mixture even with the jets cranked
all the
way up. To verify this I pulled the plugs and all 4 are dry
but sooty.
This is what I've done so far
  Adjust valves, new points, set dwell at 42 degrees, new
plugs gapped at .025
timing is dead on. New "DD" needles, floats, needle valves
and pcv diaphram.
I followed the carb tuning instructions but still have a
more yellow than blue
color in the sightglass. The instructions that come with the
colortune state
that if a bunson blue cannot be achieved (too rich) to check
for sticking
pistons, leaking needle valves or the jet needle shoulder
not flush with
piston underside .
I checked all of these and everything seams to be ok except
for the new floats
I didn't see any way to adjust the float level. They are the
one piece plastic
molded type I bought from TRF. Has anyone had success
adjusting these
things? The only other thing I can think of is that I may
have the wrong
size jets, .10 instead of the standard .09. Is there
markings on the jet
to indicate the Jet size? Oh and one more thing when I do
the piston lift test
while the engine is running the idle drops off dramaticly
(lean). Boy
am I confused.  Can anyone help me?  Please?

Randy Croft
69 Spit MkIII   Richest Car in Town

--------------7C9408290BD338290CE67F49
 name="rkcroft.vcf"