Re: lemans racing heads

To: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil
Subject: Re: lemans racing heads
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:38:24 -0500 ()
On Mon, 22 Feb 1999 jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil wrote:

> Last week someone mentioned that the factory works lemans cars had a
> special head,  anymore info on these what would it take to make one or
> change a car over to one, or do I just need to quit dreaming now.

Patrick, you might as well quit dreaming. For one thing, you needn't worry
too much about such a head for your '79. You already have an eight-port
head on your car.

The works cars date back to time of the original 1147cc Spitfire engine,
with its "siamesed" intake ports on the street version of the
Herald-derived head (six ports total). A special eight-port head was
developed for the works cars in both cast iron and alloy. With individual
ports for each valve, bigger valves, use of two twin-choke Webers, etc.,
it made for a suitable increase in power over the stock unit. :-)

There are a few of those heads still around, but they're only of value to
the 1147-driving "Walter Mittys" among us.

--Andy