Re: Rad flush kit??

To: "Neil McAllister" <neil.mcallister@fvrl.bc.ca>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rad flush kit??
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 08:06:48 -0500
Hi Neil,

I have used these flushing kits on most of the cars I have owned and they
work well. My Spitfire is an exception, just haven't gotten "a round tuit".
(Not that I have needed to; various mechanical maladies have resulted in me
having to drain  the coolant 3 times in 2500 miles anyway.   Sheesh.)

The instructions will tell you to install the flushing tee as close to the
thermostat as you can, on the hose going to the heater. On the Spit 1500
that would be the coolant line that goes from the right front of the
engine, thru the intake manifold, and back towards the firewall.

The concept here is that you will be pushing cold water backwards through
the cooling system.  The cold water will keep the t-stat closed so to reach
the greatest part of the system you would get as close to the t-stat as
possible.  In practice, it wouldn't hurt to put the tee near the firewall,
because you would only be 'missing' that manifold pipe when you flush --
not a big deal.

My only other comment about the flush kits is to try to minimize antifreeze
spillage (sometimes that's hard), it is bad for the local pets if they
drink it.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire (with lots of kitties in the neighborhood)