Re: Machine shop

To: "Chris Pappathopoulos" <ctpappathopo@students.wisc.edu>,
Subject: Re: Machine shop
From: "James Carpenter" <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 14:42:18 -0000
Go down the your local pub and ask in there!

There will be people in there who will have experiences of your local shops.
Thats where I found the place where I got my engine done.  The same place
was recomended by a lot of the small garages in the area.  It wasn't the
cheapest, but when I went there I just had a gut feeling that this was
right.   They prided them selves on there workmanship, and they didn't try
the hard sell.

I said what I wanted.

i.e. crank regrind and re-bour, head skim.

First thin they said was I didn't need a head skim, it was fine.
Then they said the needed the pistons before the bour to get the best
posible fit.  They could supply them or I could get them and drop them into
the shop.

In the end I could not get the pistons in time so I got them to supply
them...

When they re-ground the crank the touched the thrust bearing faces for me,
just to tidy them up, not enough to need an oversize though.

They also supplyed me one of the core plugs I could not get for free!

They are in Oxford England, so it's a bit far away for you, but this one of
the best services I have ever had when dealing with my car.

James