RE: Leaky Diffy

To: "'Kurt Strassner'" <Kurt.Strassner@trcinc.com>
Subject: RE: Leaky Diffy
From: Peter Cebalo <cebalo@NthShore.govt.nz>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 11:14:27 +1300
Hi Kurt,

I think it's easier to drop the Diff out.

There are a few things to be aware of.

1. when you remove the diff, check the breather hole on the top (at the
back) is not blocked. If blocked, the diff will leak even with new
seals... there should be a split pin through the centre of the hole.

2. Once you have the side stub axles out, you need to press the bearings
off to replace the seals. This is best done on a press. They can be hard
to get off.  ( replace the bearings, they are not too expensive. )

3. now you can do the gasket between the housings - no problem.

4. The front seal....Someone might need to correct me here..diffs fitted
with the collapsible spacers on the pinion have a flange nut with a
split pin. Take a note of it's position before removing it. If you have
a Nylock type nut on the flange it's not so critical as there's no
collapsible spacer to deform. Get the seal out the best way you can...
I'd only replace it if you know it's leaking.

Hope this helps

Peter Cebalo

73 Spitfire Mk IV

Auckland, New Zealand