Rear suspension stuff

To: Mark Sinclair <msinclair@dis-inc.com>
Subject: Rear suspension stuff
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:16:59 -0800
>Did you have any tyre clearance problems
>at the rear with the longer axles? I'm wondering if the change to the
>square-tail body included some provision for additional wheel clearance.
***************************************
No, but then again, they did make the square tail with wider flares, just
for that reason.  I ran (and currently run) 205/60's on the car now without
rubbing in the rear, but with a round tail, I would suspect clearance
problems, and here's why.  With my 70 GT6, stock condition with only 1 inch
wider track than the MKIII spit, I am rubbing on one side with a full load
when cornering hard, and that's with 165 tires on stock wire wheels!  I
have already upgraded to the swing spring on the project 70, but am
seriously considering leaving the shorter axles for that reason.
**************************************
>Also - care to part with your source for the longer hoses? I'd like to go
>stainless braided but I think most suppliers I'm aware of only stock the er
>'stock' replacements.
*************************************
I afraid I can't tell you a part number, I did this so long ago.  Basically
what I did was take the old hoses down to my local auto parts place and
told the guy behind the counter (who knew what I was talking about) that I
needed a brake hose with the same fittings on each end, but at least one
inch longer.  He looked in the mfg catalogue (which all good parts houses
should have) that list them by length and thread, and found me a pair.  By
the way, try to find a pair with a spring wrapped around the hose, to
prevent the chafing that you discovered.  If you get a part number or make
from a particular car let me know.  I would like to update my article on
converting to a swing spring with a part number for just such a hose.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)