RE: Gearbox wires

To: "'Ray Bryant'" <photoray@flash.net>
Subject: RE: Gearbox wires
From: Peter Cebalo <cebalo@NthShore.govt.nz>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:01:11 +1300

Sounds like an overdrive lockout switch to me. On the end of the
selector rail, there should be a cam held on by a grub screw. This cam
operates the switch when in 3rd and 4th gear to enable the Overdrive but
lock it out in all other gears.

3-rail Transmissions used two type of overdrives and the wiring is
different for both. Pre 73 used the "D" type. wiring for this switch
went to a relay on the firewall/bulkhead. Disconnect at the relay.

Late 73 early 74 ( from comm no FH / FK600000 on ) used the "J" type
with no relay. In this case leave them disconnected or cut them off. One
wire will be live, make sure it's insulated.

Hope this helps

Peter Cebalo

73' Spitfire

Auckalnd New Zealand