5 speed conversion kit

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: 5 speed conversion kit
From: Mark Sinclair <msinclair@dis-inc.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:03:15 -0800
Listers:

I have been looking into the 5-speed kit from Conversion Components. They
have not yet supplied a Spitfire conversion kit but will develop one when
somebody places an order. I have talked to Colin a couple of times and
received the following prices and info. late last week. (currently
NZ$=0.54US$).

Conversion kit consists of:
Bell housing - cast aluminium
complete with spigot bearing sleeve, dowel and bolts
Clutch fork, (hydr) thrust bearing, carrier, clips, and reco slave cylinder
(7/8 inch dia.)
Clutch plate (conversion 8 inch)
Speedo Cable

Gearboxes are: Ex Japan, 2 month return warranty except on geartooth
breakage. Supplied complete with gearlever, slip yoke and rear rubber
mount.

Pricing:
Conversion Kit = $579US
5 speed Toyota 2T gearbox ex Japan (used but checked over) = $324US
Air Freight and Documentation = $161US

Total = $1064US

If I want to source the gearbox locally then shipping and documentation
would only be $76US.

I'm thinking pretty seriously about going this route. The ratios are:
3.58, 2.02, 1.38, 0.86. The overall price and performance should be about
the same as for converting to OD but with greater reliability and less
weight.

I think this sounds like a great addition to the list of available Spitfire
upgrades. I'd like to see it get developed even if I don't proceed with it
right now. I'd be interested in hearing other folks opinion - good, bad or
otherwise.

Other interested parties can reach Colin Dray at:

Conversion Components
2 Martha Street
Waihi
New Zealand