Re: Top 10 Tools

To: Mark Milotay <mark.milotay@onthemark.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Top 10 Tools
From: Susan Hensley <susan@bearcom.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 09:30:51 -0600
Hi all!

I have to throw in my two cents about gaffer's tape -- it is NOT duct
tape and should not be equated to such.  Duct tape is a strong,
highly-adhesive tape that will stick anything to anything and can
withstand all sorts of force and pressures depending on how you use it.
It is difficult to remove and leaves a sticky nasty residue when you do
remove it.  Standard duct tape is usually light grey and shiny on the
non-sticky side, although it does come in colors (racer tape!).

Gaffer's tape was designed for the film and video industry to do such
things as tape down power cords and mic cables (usually on carpet or
floored areas) and then removed WITHOUT leaving residue.  It costs about
$18 per roll, where duct tape can be picked up for as little as $2 or so
a roll.  It holds just as well as duct tape, in my opinion.  It is
usually black and cloth-like on the non-sticky side.  In my ten years of
experience with the stuff (video production), I have found that it does
leave a little residue on some surfaces, but nothing like duct tape.

Just FYI!

Keep Triumphing,
Susan Hensley   :)