Weber DGV 32/36 vs. DCOE 40

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Weber DGV 32/36 vs. DCOE 40
From: trunnell@mindspring.com (Glenn Trunnell)
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 15:28:08 -0500
Hi,

I'm currently considering replacing my ZS with one of these webers.  I have
spent a least a couple of hundred dollars on my Stromberg carb, including a
rebuild by Apple hydraulics and it still has problems especially a miss at
idle.  I have looked at virtually every other part of the engine and I
believe that the fault is with the carb as does the shop that has been
trying to find the problem.  I am going to try swapping a known good carb
onto the car and if that solves the problem, it's probably going to be new
carb time.
   I know that a lot of people run the DGV carb. is it possible to keep the
emissions equipment intact with this carb?  On the DCOE 40 , how streetable
is it?  How much tuning is required to get it right, and does it give
enough of an increase over the DGV to make it worthwhile?  What's the cost
difference?  How hard is it to recurve the distributor to use only
centrifugal advance?  Would I be better to go with dual SUs? I would like
to get as many opinions as possible before I make my decision.

Thanks,
Glenn