Spit tires (Freddy needs a new set of shoes...)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit tires (Freddy needs a new set of shoes...)
From: "Kevin B. Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 21:47:09 -0500
This has probably been discussed to death, but what is everybody running for
tires on their Spits? I think 155/13 was the original equipment - I tried a set
of Pirelli P44's in that size last year with disappointing results. Too
squidgy! I currently have the ancient 165/13 Coopers that came on my parts car
on but they won't balance properly, probably from standing for 10 years without
moving. When I bought the car it had no name brand 175/70 13s on, but i thought
they looked wrong and they made the steering heavy and dead feeling. Any
recommendations? This is a 77 Spit chassis, Koni's and 1300 springs in front,
air-shock in the back. I am looking more for nice steering feel than ultimate
grip or life - I like to slide around a little vintage style.

Kevin Rhodes
Freddy the Spit (69 - 80 depending on where you look!)

PS - went for my first top-down drive of the year today - beautiful mid-50s
weather here in Maine! Two hours of lovely back roads, but Freddy does not deal
as well with frost heaves as my Peugeot wagon. Bounce, bounce, BOUNCE, oops,
better slow down.... ;-)