Re: Spitfire Main Bearings

To: "Martin C. Libhart" <mlibhart@feist.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Spitfire Main Bearings
From: "james carpenter" <james@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 11:19:27 -0000
>I finally had time this week to open up the bottom end of my '70
>Spitfire motor (1296cc) so I will know what to expect come rebuild
>time.  I've had the motor on an engine stand since starting my frame-off
>restoration project last year.  When I acquired this project car, the
>motor ran, but was a real dog.  Good compression readings on cylinders 3
>& 4, but very low on 1 & 2; lots of blue smoke.

Cylinder head gasket between 1 and 2.

Had the same, you need to take the head off, check the level of the cylinder
head.

If warped get it milled, I suspect it dosent need it.

Have a look at your head studs and nuts. Are the threads OK, are the nuts
proper cylinder head ones, rather than normal ones.  My car needed new
cylinder head nuts, I used mini ones becuase they were the only desent ones
to hand.  Infact he gasket went 3 times in a row before I chainged the nuts.

New gasket, then follow the tourking proceduer in the manual.

The gasket in my car went three times in the 400 miles since getting a
bottom end rebuild.  It is now a 1450 miles and showing no problems other
than a slight valve fluf. (Touch wood!)