Re: yet another clutch problem

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: yet another clutch problem
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 22:14:56 EST
In a message dated 3/30/99 11:22:59 PM EST, dgates@lava.net writes:

>  I did notice that the clutch was oriented correctly when I removed it, but
>  I just looked at it again and noticed that it has a slight rattle sound
>  when I shake it like something is a little loose inside.  Is this normal?
>  It did not seem to be comming from the springs, they were all tight.

I had a slightly used clutch disc laying around and I gave it a good shake.
No rattling.  Does anyone have an idea whether this would be relevant to
David's problem?

>  I did not think of the thrust washer drop out thing.  I just checked it and
>  found that there is a little movement, but not much at all.  How do you
>  measure it and how much is too much?  I could not find a convienent place
>  to put a gap guage.  At this point the tranny and clutch are removed, so I
>  have good access to the flywheel.

Try www.vtr.org/maintain/thrust-washers.html.  Written for a TR6, but same
principles apply.  Probably easier to check at the flywheel...

>  The clutch and tranny splines are in great condition.  No damage at all
> there.
>
>  David Gates

Good luck with it!

Greg