Houston, How good is Epoxy?

To: Spitfires Post <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Houston, How good is Epoxy?
From: BWN <bwnbcg@cruzio.com>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 16:34:33 -0700
Well, I got into the differential today.  The cause of the punched out
rear case was a pinion tooth floating around inside the unit.  It is a
little larger than a pit bulls tooth.

Apparently, when it became lodged between the ring gear and the case
(why don't they allow enough room for loose parts?) the ring gear just
pushed it on into the casting until a large section just gave way.  This
also caused a lot of oil to leak out.  Avoid this if you can.

So, I have to trash an otherwise perfectly running third member.  It was
perfectly quiet, and did not drip ANY oil, thanks to the great resealing
job I did a few months back.  Now if this was some "wailer" of a rear
end I would not feel so bad.  But you know how it is, the chances of
finding a QUIET one to replace it with are real slim.

So, do I replace the whole thing?  Just the pinion and hope there are no
invisibly cracked ring gear teeth?  Go on the cheap and glue up the case
and put in an unknown used pumpkin?  Sell the pile of junk and buy an
Fiat?

The last time I had a differential redone I spent about $100 on seals
and bearings and about $120 at the gear shop.  And you only get as good
a unit as your gears are to begin with.

Oh well.

Brian

79 Spitfire