RE: Help on installation of manifolds

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Help on installation of manifolds
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 11:53:07 EDT
I did this about a year ago on my 78.  Searching my memory (which is about
as leak-proof as a British drivetrain), I have the following suggestions:

Do you have the original Triumph bolts?  The head of the bolt is about 1 1/2
inches long (sticking out) so that you can slide your wrench (spanner?)
up and down until you find sufficient clearance to move the bolt a small
faction of a turn.

I used an open end wrench (no special tools)  with no problems -
if you consider only a small fraction of a turn at a time no problem.

Clean the threads with a wire brush or a tap so that the bolt turns easily and
you will be able to thread it most of the way on by hand.

Make sure that stupid clamp thing doesn't spin out of position or you will
have to do the whole thing all over again.

Be prepared for your back to ache like an SOB the next day.

Good luck!

-Greg
78 Spit - daily driver
72 Spit - awaiting restoration, yeah right..