Wiper motor color?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Wiper motor color?
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougbert@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 22:13:36 -0500
Hello,

I noticed yesterday that the wiper motor on my 72 Spit makes
a nasty chattering sound when it is running.  So I guess I
need to take it apart and lubricate it.  My workshop manual
describes the motor in great detail, so this does not seem
to be especially difficult.

But I was wondering about one thing:  The motor body
(the motor itself, not the gearbox) is completely covered
with a thin layer of rust.  I really ought to clean it and paint it.
But what color should I use?  Were these ever painted at
all, or were they bare steel when new?  I am amazed it still
runs at all, given its current ugly appearance.  It is even
rusted where it rests on the rubber pad.

Doug Braun