Re: Arcane pedantic question about Spit convertible top

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Arcane pedantic question about Spit convertible top
From: richard jackson <richard.jackson@northampton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 09:23:36 +0100

> > Also, what is the correct way to attach the top to the black metal rail
> > that runs across the back?  On my current top, they simply
> > tucked the tail end of the top under this rail, between it and the body.
> > The parts book shows the top being riveted to the rail, but it is not
> > clear if the end ot the top material (a flap about 1 or 2 inches wide)
> > is supposed to be tucked under the rail, or over it.  The parts book
> > also shows some sort of padding washer (part #622445) under the rivet,
> > but it is not clear exactly where it goes or what it is for.
>
> Three rivets hold the top to that rail. Those rivet also hold three SNAPS
> to the top; I believe that's what you're thinking of when you say padding
> washer. The original boot cover and tonneau cover use those snaps.

Andy,

The padding washers that he mentions are small foam washers(about 1cm wide x
3-4mm thick) that fit underneath the metal strip on the end of the rivets that
hold the soft top and press studs(snaps to you! :-)) in place.  Mine used to
have these, but I think I binned them when I fitted a new top as they were a
bit knackered. :-)

Rich