Gear Grinding

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Gear Grinding
From: "Neil McAllister" <neil.mcallister@fvrl.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 21:31:43 GMT
Hi all,

Well, Emma Peel, my elegant, aging 1980 1500 is on the road again.  Spent
yesterday
basking in the sun at the Van Dusen ABFM in Vancouver.  Emma was parked beside
Joe Curry's beautiful Huxley (who won second for the Spitfire/GT6 class) and
I thought they made a rather a nice couple.  Joe claims he  actually had to
remove Huxley's coil lead so he wouldn't get to fresh with Emma.  A good day-
478 cars and fine weather.

Spent today on a long cruise in the hills and upon returning home had an
unpleasant
amount of gear grinding when stopped and attempting either first or reverse.
 The car was fairly hot (guage just over half way).  No sign of this when cold.

I know there've been a few threads about this, so apologies for bringing it
up again, but, is the most likely culprit the dreaded thrust bearing I recall,
and, how do I check it?

Thanks,

Neil
1980 Spitfire 1500 (Emma Peel)