Ignition Switch Switch

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Ignition Switch Switch
From: "R.D. Waid" <msp01091@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 15:49:04 -0500
Listers,
Iıve been in extended lurk mode over the winter (car was in storage), and I also
switched to the digest mode which is handy for reading but inhibits lightning
on coils and ballast resistors. The points on my Œ71 Spit have always tended to
burn. After reading the notes on 12V coils, I checked the voltage at my
DPO-installed, aftermarket12V coil with ballast resistor with ignition key
on-(engine not running) sure enough, 12.57V, same as the battery. Crank the
engine (no start) and it drops to 8.5. I switched the two white wires at the DPO
installed ignition switch at what I believe to be the ³Start² and ³Run²
terminals. I now get 8.5V in the run position (engine off) and 11- something
when running (alternator is putting out over 14 V), so I assume the ballast
resistor is doing itıs job. Everything else appears normal. Am I overlooking
anything? Can the fix be as simple as switching the wires at the ignition
switch? Is the running voltage still so high as to burn the points?

Iım afraid I missed all of British Car Week due to this and other problems. Wait
till next year!!

Bob Waid
Œ71 Spitfire IV