Re: Timihg

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Timihg
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 23:03:00 EDT
In a message dated 6/2/99 9:49:55 PM EST, sos@kymtnnet.org writes:

> What should the timing be on my 1976
>  Spit 1500 with  the air pump taken off?
>  I know the manual says 2 degrees ATDC.
>  It was set at 10 degrees BTDC . Can someone give
>  me a "ballpark" setting? Thanks!
>  Larry

I don't think that removing the air pump will affect your timing settings.
10BTDC is the setting for non-1976 engines, but since the '76 is higher
compression, a later setting is called for.  I'm running about 8BTDC on
my 76 engine, but I'm thinking of retarding it to reduce "running on"
problems since I'm too cheap to buy premium gas.  See Kma4444@AOL.com's
earlier post about setting optimal timing by measuring performance at
different settings sent earlier today.

-Greg