Re: A New Noise : Fluttering : Exhaust

To: DWARE@uk.ibm.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A New Noise : Fluttering : Exhaust
From: Mike.Hopkins@mis.magna-europa.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 15:59:13 +0100

David

I have the Rimmer single box, twin tail pipe on my 1980 1500 and am
actually thinking of going back to the standard it doesnt seem to make any
difference to power/grunt etc it does however make a noise that begins to
grate after a period/ wake up the neighbours/ announce to everyone at your
work including the boss that you are leaving. Rimmers and moss do a twin
exhaust that has oval silencers that are supposed to give the power plus
breathing but limit the noise problem.

I have been thinking of this move but have heard that the 4 to 2 to 1/
tubular manifolds glow very hot causing all sorts of problems so would be
inerested to know if this is pish/rubbish etc.

Not sure about the K&N as I dont have them but would be interested in the
answer to this myself

Mike Hopkins
Kent, England
1980 1500 (Daily Runner and general money pit)

Dave wrote

Please help, on my drive in to work this morning I noticed a new
> noise accompanied by what I think is a reduction in performance, it's
> hard to tell really ;-)

Well, the drive home left me with little doubt to the reason for the noise.
The exhaust was blowing, badly by the time I got home. On inspection I
found that the flange of the manifold connecting to the down pipe has
cracked. In fact a piece had fallen out.

So, this gives me the ideal excuse for a complete new exhaust and manifold
system (that's what I told my wife anyway). I definitely want to go for
stainless steel and I think a tubular manifold. I'd like a bit of a
performance boost to go with it, does this have to mean an exhaust note
that wakes the dead ?

I'm looking at Rimmer's 'Single Sports Exhaust' (single back box with twin
tail pipes), does anyone out there have one or an opinion on it? What about
any other systems available (I'm in the UK), nothing too loud please.

Whilst I'm on the subject, would I be wise to change to different air
filters at the same time, K&Ns perhaps?

David
Hampshire, England
1977 1500 Spitfire (UK spec)