Re: bumpers

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: bumpers
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 20:53:09 EDT
In a message dated 7/13/99 11:09:29 AM EST, alfapete@pacbell.net writes:

> I've just removed the overkill US required rubber bumper overriders, center
>  chrome bash bar and out-rigger extensions on my 76 1500.  Looks far better.
>  Nice and tight.  I was wondering how the final piece remaining is shaped
>  like a Mk4.  Is it just minus the holes for mounting all the nonsense or
>  completely different? I can't believe how much all that crap weighs!
>
>  Also wondering what I could do in the front.  It appears the bonnet hinges
>  are inside the rubber overriders.  Is the Mk4 the same way or something
else
>  altogether?

As I understand it:

Excluding the late federal black rubber bagel bugger burbers (whatever), the
basic front bumper was the same from the introduction of the Mark IV on.
Different and larger overriders were used on the later US versions to meet
our regulations, but the enlightened rest of the world somehow managed
to continue with the early style through the life of the 1500 (unlike the
MGB/Midget, where a more complex US bumper mandated rationalizing
worldwide).  So...all you need to do to "downgrade" the front is switch
the overriders, difficult to find in the US of A, but I would suppose
relatively
plentiful elsewhere for importing.

As far as the back goes, once you've removed all the excess avoir du
pois, the remaining bumper matches the US Mark IV and non-US Mark
IVs/1500s.  The only difference being that these models had the license
plate illumination mounted on the bumper, instead of between the
reversing lights. I guess this was because the home market license plate
was so wide...

I agree that what you've done is a much cleaner, attractive look.  I've
always been hesitant, personally, to make the change, since the way
people drive around here, I can use all the protection that I can get!  :)

-Greg