Mig Welders Again

To: "Spit list" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mig Welders Again
From: "James Carpenter" <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 18:56:32 +0100
Hi Just to say, I've done it, I have got myself a MIG.

Descided to pay for the car insurance in 10 installment, £509 quid for me a
12K miles a year.  PS tubular manifold makes no difference to the cost:-)

So had the cash to go and get a new MIG

First I looked at was a 90A model for 200 pounds.  The second was a 130A
Turbo model for 210 pounds, guess which one I got.  It takes disposable
cartrages, but also has a connector for a 1/4 inch rubber hoze, so I can get
myself a regulator and refilable bottel later.  Have enough to do two sills
at the moment.  Anyway the chap said that it was powerfull enough to cope
with the chassis work if needed but went down low enough to cope with the
body tub.

Takes the 5kg wire reals.

Anyway to the querys.

What constitutes good practice work on the car, things like welding up
stress cracks in the bonet and arround the door hinges etc?  Howabout
fitting a MC firewall repair pannel?

What work constitutes removing the fule tank, and what work dosn't.   There
has to be a point where the risk of removing the tank outways the risk of
weling with it in place.  Nowhere seems to have a good guide?   You wouldn't
remove the tank for welding up the very front of the car.

How do you know if your welds are structuraly sound or not, and how do you
know when your ready to tackle things like the sills and floor pans, and
boot floor?

Tell you what, I feel the need to make a BBQ all of a suden, does this
normaly happen when you buy a welder.  Are there any other things I might
make?

James.