Re: rebuilding the engine, with more than one question

To: "Bowen, Patrick A" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rebuilding the engine, with more than one question
From: "N.A. Campiglia III" <spitdrvr@camalott.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 23:30:15 -0500
Patrick,
> 1) what is shot peening?
This is a process of relieving stress in metal structures.  A regular
blasting machine is used with a specific media or it can be done with a
rotary flap machine.  If the shop is offering this service make sure they
are actually "Shot Peening" the parts and not just Bead Blasting them, there
is a huge difference.  Think of it this way, shot pening forms a kind of
toughened skin on the outside of the part sorta like case hardening...

You can thank a 2 week TDY to McChord AFB for Rotary Flap and Shot Peening
School for that info...

> Is baking the block better that hot tanking? how?
I don't think there is any benefit of one over the other, I could be wrong
though....

4) I have slight scoring on the cylinder wall and don't know if honing will
> resolve it, (hopefully the machine shop will be helpful, and cheap).
The machine shop will be able to tell you if honing will clean up your
cylinders or not.  The machine shop I use charges $10.00 per cylinder for
honing and ridge removal.

> 6) Is lightening the flywheel worth it?
I don't think so, are you going to be racing this monster???  You can have
it cleaned up and faced at the machine shop.

It's a great idea to have the thrust washers pinned.

Hope this answers some of your questions, good luck...

Nick

N.A. Campiglia III
'67 Spitfire MKIII
'74 Spitfire 1500