BHP ?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: BHP ?
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 10:33:14 -0400
I see listings for horsepower on triumph models with the notation "bhp".
(e.g. a 1500 federal model has 57 bhp, and a GT6 federal model has ~106 bhp.)

Can I assume that is "brake horse power"? (as in American rated horse
power?)

Also, has anyone heard of a 1500cc Spit engine being brought above 100 hp?
(I know a twin SU equiped spit is rated at 71 bhp without catalyst.)

The reason I'm asking is that since an engine swap for another engine (289?
302?)
is a very daunting task, requiring mods for frame, body, drive-train and
suspension,
I'm wondering how effective it would be to have another Spit engine built
up with
performance cam, dual point distributor, roller rocker, tubular push rods,
competition valves, dual valve springs, etc. (I'm specing the cost, and it
seems
a lot more reasonable to do than to modify the car with a larger foreign
block and
drive train.)

Terry L. Thompson
'76 Spit 1500