Ceramic Coating Things

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Ceramic Coating Things
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 12:37:08 -0400
I know 99% of you haven't even considered this but, I'm
curious if anyone has an idea.

I was looking up places to have quotes to get a couple of
items ceramic coated...And noticed that at least one of the
places also does "TBC" (Thermal Barrier Coating) and low
friction coating of internal engine parts (Cylinder heads,
valve train parts, etc.)

My question is, how do they manage to keep the necessary
tolerances in place when they coat moving parts? The machining
is measured in hundredths and thousands of an inch. And a
build-up of any kind of coating seems to me to be a problem.
Right? Anyone want to explain this to me?

And then another question:
In doing a modified engine build, I've been considering case
hardening done on the block (since it needs to be machined
anyhow).
Does having a thermal barrier coating make a case hardening
unnecessary?

Terry