Floor Pan Rust Removal

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Floor Pan Rust Removal
From: Chris Jones <sarophes@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:57:12 -0700 (PDT)
   Hi folks,
   First let me thank everyone who helped me with my "upright vs.
angled" radiator question.  I really appreciate the help.
   My next question involves the rust on my "new" '79.  It is mostly
free of rust but must have been left in the rain at least once because
the floor boards in the passenger cabin are rusty.  The underside is
clean, but the top side is rusted.
   I have nearly completed stripping the paint and rust from the top
side of the floor pans, but there are many areas that are pitted, and
the pits contain rust.  I don't want to completly grind out the pits,
because that would leave the floor paper thin.
   What should my next step be before repainting it?  Some people have
suggested phosphoric acid, but I'm not really sure how to use it.
Others have suggested rust-inhibiting paint, but I'd really like to get
the surface as clean as possible first.  Any suggestions?

   Thanks,
   Chris Jones
   '74 and '79 Spitfires