Re: The dreaded unleaded problem

To: suzie_bear@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: The dreaded unleaded problem
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@mrdog.msl.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 20:54:31 -0400
> As I understand it the options include the following:
> 1 - changing the head
> 2 - changing the valve seats
> 3 - putting a 'thing' in the petrol tank
> 4 - putting an in-line 'thing' in the fuel line
> 5 - putting additives in with the fuel each time
> 6 - using Lead replacement Petrol
> 7 - just putting in unleaded
>
> My feelings on these options are:
> 1 & 2 - as stated before - I really can't afford it yet

OK, so we decide to wait for the full up treatment.  For now.

> 3 & 4 - how can they possibly work?

Probably magic.  Local witches could probably put as useful a spell on
your fuel pump.  I have yet to see a mechanism which does not need
renewing (like refilling with a chemical) that actually works.

> 5 & 6 - there are so many options & I undestand that once you choose one
> type (potassium, sodium, manganese or phosphorus) you have stick with it. As

My understanding is that potassium is likely to be available for a
long time; manganese leaves some kinda evil deposits in combustion
chambers, look like rust but isn't.  I really don't know much about
the other two, so I would tend to stay away from them.

> I've just read an article which stated that 'All work on the proposed
> British Standards for Lead Replacement Petrol has been ceased' apparently
> because no-one can decide which way to go, how should I be able to decide
> which to use?

Technology development is getting too much like politics.  "We can't
find (or agree on what is) the perfect solution, so we'll give you no
solution at all."  And it'll cost like who-knows-what.

> 7 - According to Kippings catalogue 'the simplest way to convert your car to
> run on unleaded fuel is to put it into the tank'.
>
> So far I've always had good advice from Kippings and my intention is to do
> the latter. I believe my engine to be original so it should have a decent
> lead memory and I don't do great mileage or drive at high speed. Presumably
> a few months into next year there should be better information as to which
> options work the best.

As long as you don't push it hard, the no-lead shouldn't be too bad.
Valve recession tests are run at high loads (to accelerate the wear
and let the tests run in reasonable time.)  As long as you stay away
from full throttle and 4000 to 6000 rpm, I would think your head
should last just fine.

> Remember, I'm the 'mechanically ignorant' one so please be gentle with me

Not so ignorant as to ask advice!

> and my level of knowledge but I'd really appreciate hearing some other views
> on this.
>
> Sue
>
> '68 MkIII
>
> PS. I tried a tankful of unleaded out of curiosity a few months ago and I
> didn't notice any difference in it's running or performance.

If the petrol is properly formulated and delivered, you should notice
no difference.  Octane prevents pinking; everything else is just there
for the ride.  My views.

Donald.