Remove undercoating

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Remove undercoating
From: "Walt Fogle" <foglew@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 12:15:03 PDT
Greetings to all:

My'73 Spitfire 1500 started life in the USA in Louisville, KY where
aftermarket undercoating was/is commonplace because of the salt spread on
the roads in winter.  The car now is nestled in my garage in the Pacific
Northwest.  I'm now blasting and repainting brackets, valve cover, etc. in
my rolling restoration.

There is undercoating on the bulkhead and L & R valances that is covering up
original paint in very good condition.  Since I'm not doing a frame-off
(just yet) I'd like to remove the undercoating without damaging the paint
underneath.  Does anyone have any suggestions for softening and removing
this gunk?

I have scraped some of the undercoating off in it's thickets parts with a
plastic putty knife but still need to completely remove it.

Thanks and best regards,

Walt Fogle
'73 Spitfire 1500