Re: MK II Pictures - Wanted:Rear Window Seal for MK II

To: Greg Thorsley <gthorsle@telusplanet.net>,
Subject: Re: MK II Pictures - Wanted:Rear Window Seal for MK II
From: Phil Johnson <gt6_man@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 08:04:26 +0100 (BST)
--- Greg Thorsley <gthorsle@telusplanet.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this list and I am putting the final
> touches on my restoration of
> a Spitfire 4 MKII.  I have a hardtop but I can't
> find a rear window seal.  I
> have checked with all the major parts companies and
> I have had no luck.
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

The rear screen seal is no longer available. You will
have to 'make your own' up from other seals that are
available - some starting points:

The circumference of the rear window is the same as
the GT6 tailgate window, but the problem with using
this rubber seal is that the corners are moulded in
'the wrong place' for the hardtop, but the profile of
the seal is correct. You could cut it up and put the
corners in the right place, but this would probably
get messy (Tried it - not happy with result)

The front windscreen rubber is too larger profile for
the job, so it would not seal very well without lots
of mastic, and again, all the corners are going to be
in the wrong places (bought one myself - if anyone
needs a sceen seal...)

The nearest seal I could find with the correct profile
and useable corners in nearly the right place was a
TR4/5 surrey top rear screen seal. Again, the seal is
going to have to be cut up, but I managed to just have
two joints at each side of the hardtop screen. If you
are careful with the joints, you should not be able to
notice them. The results look good enough for me to be
happy.

Your car looks stunning, well done. The Mk2 is my
favourite of the round tail Spitfires, but then I am
biased as I have one too.

Phil Johnson
Club Triumph (UK) Spitfire/GT6 Secretary
http://www.club.triumph.org.uk/

66 Spitfire4 Mk2 FC73949
68 GT6 Mk1 KC13299 or soon to be someone elses?
77 TR7 with some strange VIN number type thing

===