Cigarette lighter circuit

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Cigarette lighter circuit
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 20:49:15 -0400
Hello all you "Sparkies" out there (are you listening Mr. Masters?),

I recently tried to operate my '79's cigarette lighter (to see if it still
worked), and noticed that my instrument lights dimmed quite a bit.  So I
stopped  ---  heck, I don't smoke, I was just messing around.

But tonight, I noticed that the middle fuse (the 10amp/5 amp continuous
one) was charred, but not blown.  Curious, I tried to determine in the
Bentley manual if the lighter is run off that fuse.

I learned nothing!  The lighter or its wiring is not shown in that manual's
diagrams.  (It has a red/white wire going to it BTW.)  Further, the three
fuses were not identified by position, only by the color wire, which is not
visible from the engine side of the fusebox.

Anybody know the answer?   Does (gasp!) the Haynes manual show the lighter
circuit?

Which fuse is which?

What would cause the lighter to draw too much current?

Atwell Haines
"Mr. Spit"  '79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA