Re: speed limits

To: Dick Powell <powrp@yahoo.com>, tiumphs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: speed limits
From: F Underwood <funder77@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 17:00:53 -0400
Dick Powell wrote:
>   Consider the western states, notibly Nevada and
> Montana, where the speed limit was whatever the DRIVER
> considered reasonable and proper, and their accident rates were
> among the lowest in the nation.

My point was NOT the rural western states or appropriate interstates
that would allow 70 mph or higher speeds- in fact I function quite well
on Europe's roadways- in excess of 125 mph cruising; BUT when you put
those idiots on 4 lanes of highway and cars stacked up inches from my
bumper I get PISSED OFF!!!!
There is a place for everything but 70 mph on the inter-city expressway
is NOT the place.
Also- you probably don't stop for the stop sign or the red light
either?  So as one may approach the intersection allowing for
appropriate adjustments for speed& conditions; having four wheel DRUM
brakes and the the person (you probably) is too impatient to wait
another 45 SECONDS and on an on.. I think you know what I mean.

<snip>...  But I agree, for you the 40 mph speed may very well be
proper.

Put me in the appropriate setting and I will run with the best of them;
I'm just tired of the fear of my life just to get to work and back or
trying to enjoy driving one of my hobby cars around town

--
Frank U
59 Ford Consul MKII 'lowline' convertible