Varying Idle Speed

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Varying Idle Speed
From: "Bollinger, Bob D. (BODB)" <BODB@chevron.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 06:52:34 -0700

I have a stock 79 Spitfire (ZS carb with water auto-choke).  When I start it
up it idles about 2200 - 2500 rpm then will drop down to about 900 rpm which
I believe is just what it's supposed to do.  After driving the car for
awhile (10 or 15 minutes) the idle goes back up to about 2500 rpm.  I've
tried to rev the engine really quick and occasionally that seems to get the
idle to drop down, but most of the time it doesn't help.  Any suggestions?
Could something just be sticking?  I have a carb rebuild kit that I was
going to use in hopes it would help.

Bob
79 Spit