Re: Gear Oil

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gear Oil
From: Roger Elliott <relliott@cjnetworks.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 21:28:42 -0600
Chris,

The way I have always filled the transmission is to get a clear plastic
hose at the hardware store just big enough to fit tightly over the top
of a gear oil bottle ( I believe it is 3/8 id).  I run the tube down
through the engine compartment and into the transmission fill hole. The
other end I fit on to the top of the bottle and just let the gear oil
run in to the transmission.

You know it is getting full when the oil starts dripping down the sid of
the transmission.

Doing it this way,  you can have the car down on the ground as you are
filling it with oil.  And while I have never used one of the pumps, I
have frequently heard people complain about how hard it is to pump the
gear oil. (they may have better pumps now.)

Roger Elliott