Re: Oil Pressure

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>, "T. .R. Dafforn" <td214@cam.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure
From: nikolai jaremka <njaremka@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 06:38:09 -0800 (PST)

barry:
try this site: http://www.xks.com
they are a jag parts supplier and they are the officail
distributor of original smith's gages in the united states.
they sent me a catalog a few years ago and smith's still makes
the dual gages.  i don't remember any of the specifics of the
gages, but they can tell you more.

ps: i haven't forgotten about the dash light, i just haven't
gotten around to sending it yet.

--- Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net> wrote:

> >Has anyone ever tried one of the Smiths combined water temp
> and Oil
> >pressure guages?
> >I am thinking of getting one, as it saves having to carve up
> the dash,
> >Does the water temp side work
> >on a spit?
> I used to have one (dual water temp/oil pressure) on my GT6+
> because I
> didn't want to carve up the dash. Bought a brand new one from
> one of the
> big three, I can't remember off hand which one but it was for
> either an MG
> or Austin Healey.  It works, but I (personally) didn't like
> the action of
> the water temp side of the gauge.  The needle would never
> really seat, or
> rest properly when supposedly cold, and yes it does get cold
> enough here in
> So Ca to *zero* the gauge :-).  That lead me to suspect the
> gauge reading
> and I eventually took it out and put the stock gauges back in.
>  Too bad as
> it's a nifty idea, and if somebody s would make an electric
> version of the
> gauge (even with mechanical oil) I think it would go over
> great!  Plenty of
> Spitfire owners would love to have an oil gauge (something
> EVERY proper
> sports car should have, and makes one wonder just WHY it was
> left out of
> the Spitfire/GT6 line!!)  With one of those dual gauges in the
> same case as
> the single gauge, it can be installed with no changes to the
> dash, and very
> little in the way of installation!  Smiths/Jaeger are you
> listening :-)??
>

> Barry Schwartz (San Diego) bschwart@pacbell.net
>
> 72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
> 70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)