Re: TR6/TR7 lugs and lug nuts on Spitfires

To: Nolan Penney <npenney@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Subject: Re: TR6/TR7 lugs and lug nuts on Spitfires
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 06:18:24 -0800
>Isn't there something that needs to be done to the stock type wheel though
when >going to these larger studs and nuts?  Seems to me that there's a
problem with >shoulder contact, and that the wheel needs to have the lug
holes redrilled and >shouldered.  But I don't know for sure, do you?
Possibly the stock wheel I'm not sure about the hole size.  It's been 20
years since I looked at those, but almost all after market wheels use a
large dia (*standard shank *) type lug nut, albeit with the smaller 3/8
thread for use in the Spitfire with stock lugs.  As far as the studs
themselves, I had no problems using the rear studs from a TR7 on my car -
no mods at all.  The holes in the hub are the same size.  If anything needs
to be done, possibly on some studs a very slight amount of grinding on one
edge of the shoulder *may* be required for clearance but I can't remember
off hand.  But it isn't anything too difficult, and can be done on a bench
grinder if this is required.  I did all this stuff so many years ago that I
can't recall all the specifics, sorry - Someone else on the list may have
done this recently and may have more details -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)