Re: Lots o questions

To: Patrick Baize <speedracre@netzero.net>
Subject: Re: Lots o questions
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 17:11:53 -0700

Patrick Baize wrote:

> All
>     As I assmebly my motor (1296cc) I find questions.
>
> I've reassembled my transmission.  What in your opinion is the best Gear
> lube?

Use any good 90 wt Gear oil.  I use Valvoline in my 3 rail OD tranny and
it works fine.

> I have a Clutch Slave Cylinder Kit, Comes with "RED RUBBER GREASE"
> No instructions came with it.  What do you use the grease for, is it
> brake fluid safe?

My guess is that it s for lubricating the rubber seals of the kit when
installing them.  I doubt you will have any problems using it with any
normal brake fluid, but don't use it in excess.  Put just enough on to
slick up the parts and wipe the rest off.

> That little circlip ring that holds the Starter Pinion on.  Mine flew
> away.  Where can I get one?  VB doesn't carry it.

You can probably find one at a local hardware store but if not let me
know. I have 3 spare starters laying around and I'm sure I can spare you
one.

> Clutch disk.  The removed one is 7 1/4 "    The new one is 6 1/2 .  Is
> this the replacement or was I shipped the wrong part?

You ordered the stock one but someone has obviously upgraded the clutch
before you.

> I have a big gob of something on my timing cover. I heard it was to keep
> noise down.  Is that true?

That is the obvious answer, although I have seen them with and without
the stuff.

Regards,
Joe

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer