Helicoil advice?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Helicoil advice?
From: Greg Ames <greg.ames.90@alum.dartmouth.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:42:54 -0500
I'm replacing my thermostat on my '72 MkIV.  It turns out that the threads
on the driver's side of the water pump housing are in pretty bad shape and
won't hold the bolt (it pops out about 1/8th inch at around 17 ftlbs of
torque).  I guess my options are:

 - Drill out the threads and install a heli-coil thingy (never used them).
 - Replace the housing with one from the spare 74(?) 1500 engine I have.
 - Buy a used housing.

I'm inclined to go the heli-coil route to avoid more problems removing
additional rusty, 25+ yr old fasteners (plus I can get the car on the road
sooner while the weather is still OK).  Can anyone offer any advice on
heli-coils?  Is the repair as easy and permanent as it seems?

Thanks,
Greg Ames
greg.ames.90@alum.dartmouth.org