RE: disappearing brake fluid

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>,
Subject: RE: disappearing brake fluid
From: "Pete Ryner" <pryner@ij.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 20:17:00 -0500
Yes the fluid will leave a stain.  However, if the leak is not going outside
the car, you will not notice it.  Recommend you check the carpet under the
brake pedal.  Most likely the master cylinder is leaking inside the car or
somewhere on the firewall where the master cylinder is located.  Less likely
is a fitting along the body where the fluid will puddle up on the frame.
Still possible.  Last possibility is that a wheel cylinder is leaking inside
the brake drum, but hasn't made it out yet.  You will have to pull the drums
to find that one.  Look over the complete system from the pedal to the wheel
cylinders.  If you find no leaks, check inside the drums.
Pete