RE: Spitfire4 (MK 1) Clutch Adjustment

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spitfire4 (MK 1) Clutch Adjustment
From: "~" <sharpc@interaxs.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 15:29:23 -0500
Joe-

Thanks for the quick reply.
Good call on the clutch disk and throw out bearing as possible sources for
this problem.  However, (and I should have included this in the first post)
the they are both brand new.  As for having the wrong push rod, it's a
distinct possibility.  I've found lots of weird trick through out the car
(such as the flat washers and blue silicon sealant used to make a
transmission gasket) as I've slowly rebuilt it.  Anybody know what the slave
cylinder pushrod length should be?

Aside...
Several people have mentioned converting to a diaphragm clutch assembly, all
for the reasons you mentioned.  Is it really that much better?  From what I
gather, I'd need to get a new clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, bell
housing, and possibly a new throw out arm and bearing.  Seems like a lot of
changing unless the improvements in reliability and performance are
significant.  Then again, I've never driven a Spit other than mine w/ the
poorly working clutch...