RE: solvent

To: "Spitfires@Autox. Team. Net (E-mail)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: solvent
From: "~" <sharpc@interaxs.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 20:14:58 -0500
IMHO, I'd stay away from chlorinated solvents if possible.  They are nasty
stuff and as they break down (Cl4C2 --> Cl3C2H --> Cl2C2H2.....) they get
nastier before getting better (ultimately, C2H6, etc).  I know first hand
that the military services are having a devil of a time coping with cleaning
up these types of chemicals.  Granted, their problem is on a much larger
scale (hundreds of gallons spilled into the ground water vs. a gallon or so
to clean one project) and the risk from short term exposure is relatively
small.  Still, most if not all chlorinated chemicals are known carcinogens
to one extent or another.

Like Arthur stated, brake cleaner is cheap and you can find non-chlorinated
versions that work quite well.  If you have access to a parts cleaner
service, they have several biodegradable, non-toxic cleaners (Citra-clean,
etc) that also work very well.  Considering non-toxic solvents that work
well are available, that's what I chose to use.

No offense intended to anyone, just my opinion.

Chris
1964 Spitfire4  BFC26375L
(recently changed from multi-colour
primer to a gleaming "Chili-pepper