Re: Jeff's brakes

To: "Ron St. John" <st-john@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Jeff's brakes
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 17:20:11 -0800
Hi Ron,

I look forward to your pictures for my round-tail website.  Man, putting
that site together was FUN! I'm getting more great pictures all the time to
share with everyone.

I bled my brakes today with denatured alcohol and used almost the entire can
of the stuff.  It was obvious that these brakes haven't been bled in a long,
LONG time.  The rear bleeder valves were a real bear to get off and will
need to be replaced.  I ended up having to take a set of needle-nosed vice
grips to them to get 'em off.

I'll post the rest of the details on my projects page later this evening.
My hope is to make things easier for other neophytes like MYSELF so that
when they come up against these issues, they'll be able to save themselves
some TIME.

The vacuum bleeder sounds like a great idea.  I had tried to save a few
bucks by buying one of those one-way valve hoses that drop in a glass jar or
whatever, and it's going back to Kragen for a refund.  The damn thing leaked
where it wasn't supposed to and basically fell apart.  Just using the rubber
hose by itself worked best.

Best to all.

Jeff in San Diego with very VERY dirty hands.