Re: rear disc brakes?

To: Jeff McNeal <jmcneal@ohms.com>, Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rear disc brakes?
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 21:13:01 -0800 (PST)
I've seen rear disk brakes on the Triumph Vitesse
Trans-Am racer that Kastner built. When I saw it, Rick
Cline had bought it, and was running it at Palm Beach
(now Moroso).

Actually, early Spitfire calipers will kind of "bolt
up". The spindles on early Spitfires were derived from
the Herald etc. that used front drums. There were
adaptors that bolted in place of the drum backing
plate, carrying the calipers instead. They share the
same bolt pattern.

But two big problems remain:

Parking brake (not used on racecar)
Disk rotor mounting (custom axles and hubs on racecar)

If you want to spend the money, Coleman has FF/Sports
2000 rotor hats and matching disks that will slip over
the Spitfires' 3-3/4" wheel bolt circle, figure $150
per wheel, plus calipers, mounts, brake lines, pads.

And you still will not have parking brakes.

Seriously, the rear brakes are up to the job if well
maintained, even on most racecars. And on some cars,
(Neons for example), the disks weigh more than the
drums (probably the damned parking brakes again).

But they sure do look cool, I'd put them on my car if
I could.

http://im.yahoo.com