Stuffing a Spitfire, (was Nitrous Oxide)

To: Ken C <kenwc@pacbell.net>
Subject: Stuffing a Spitfire, (was Nitrous Oxide)
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 07:32:35 -0800
>Now, I'm staying with the original 1.3 liter motor, (just spent a whole lot
>of money on it), but if and when it breaks, there should be a few of those
>Hondas in the boneyard. It's a rear wheel drive setup, so possibly it could
>be modified to fit, (Barry, are you around ?).
********************************
Ken (and others),
Oh yeah, sure, I'm still lurking. . .actually anything *almost* can be made
to fit.   Just takes time and money.  The real problem with the Spitfire is
hood or bonnet clearance, and the other less problematic area is the space
between the frame rails.  Almost every conversion I've seen has at least
one of these obstacles to overcome.  Most of the newer overhead cam engines
are just too tall- requiring one to either raise the hood slightly at best
(doesn't really look to good in my opinion), and or cut a hole or make a
bulge in the bonnet at worst.  Every V-engine I've have so far seen that
has been installed in a Spitfire had to have the exhaust pipes exiting
UNDER a frame rail somewhere which severely limits ground clearance.  Don't
get me wrong, as some of these conversions were works of art.  both of
these obstacles however, I was unwilling to compromise on. (granted I now
sport a GT6 bonnet, courtesy of a shall we say, a bonehead neighbor) but
the original transplant fit entirely under, AND between the frame rails
with no body or frame modifications (other than a slight trimming of a
flange or two for the T5).
So go ahead, stuff in that Merlin V12, or for a little more oomph, a
Griffon in there.  Granted full HP is limited to around 2000 RPM (I believe
the rev limiter is set at that) , but AHHH the torque, and hey, they came
from the factory that way :-)
Ooop sorry, nurse, NURSE, my medication ain't working. . . and could you
loosen the straps on this funny white jacket just a little. . .

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)