Engine restraint cable, Spitfire 1500.

To: <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine restraint cable, Spitfire 1500.
From: "Karl J. Schmitt" <kjschmitt@jcn.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 20:01:25 -0600
The heavy steel cable which is attached to the bell housing and a bracket on
the chassis is defined as an "engine restraint cable".  See Bentleys "The
Complete Official Triumph Spitfire 1500, 1975-1980.

Page 148, section 12.41.01, item 18.  Note that specific reference is made
only to "U.S.A. Catalytic and non Catalytic converter specification
only)?????.

Page 149, item 41, fit the engine restraint cable and adjust (U.S.A. models
only).  12.45.19

Page 157, section 12.45.10, engine restraint cable, remove and refit.
A half page of instructions follow.  Of significance is "without imposing
any tension or stretch on the cable".

My 1980 Spitfire has it, and it is properly installed.  However I have long
since removed the Catalytic converter (and I pass the local emissions test
each year). As for electrical grounding, there are other proper cables
installed.

Simply put, it is a restraint cable!

Thank you,  Karl J. Schmitt