Re: Tonneau

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tonneau
From: "Ree Gurley" <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 14:49:57 -0600
Scott,
   I believe the snap PATTERN is the same; however, the '71 probably has
metal snaps as opposed to the (lousy) plastic snaps.  I changed all my '78
snaps to metal via a "Handi-pack Canvas Fastener Assortment" from BOATS/US -
about $10 and includes a dozen or so metal snaps plus a nifty little
punch/die set which makes installing the new snaps "a snap."  Other
Spitlisters have mentioned similar kits found at tent & canvas places.
   The plastic & metal snaps are slightly different sizes & will not easily
marry; however, it's so easy (and IMHO worthwhile) to convert to all-metal,
that I'd say, if the price is right,  Go For It.

Ree Gurley in Silver Spring, MD  -  78 Spit  FM73070U O